Follow the Sun....

A diary of Leigh & Rita's trip to the USA, Cook Islands, New Zealand, Australia,Vietnam, Cambodia, Singapore and a little add on, Barcelona.

Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Diving day - Pahia

We decided to book a day's diving in the Bay of Islands.

"Discover Scuba"

On the day of the experience, it turns out that we had another guy with us, also anxious to "Discver Scuba". His name was Tommy and he was German. It would have been very confusing if he was around in the war. The German soldier would shout out "Look out here comes Tommy!". All the troops would look around anxiously expecting the British Army to be on their heels, only to discover it was in fact, Tommy the German.

We were taken behind this little back street shop and had to change into our wet suits.

Then we were taken on an extremely bumpy speed boat ride across the Bay of Islands.

We then were kitted out with our full diving gear. At this point Rita began to hyperventilate and had to be dragged from the ocean like a flipped over inflated black beetle. That was the end of the diving for her.

So now there was just Tommy and me. "How heavy are you?" asked the instructor, then took a summary glance at the two of us and said "Oh you're about the same - 90 kg". Fatboy Merricks took this as a compliment, failed to disclose his real weight and so ended up being given the same weighting as the much slimmer and streamlined Tommy.
Next we were in the water, Tommy near the bottom, me despite my deflating my buoyancy jacket, still bobbing about on the top. Next stage was for more weights to be added to my diving suit. In I went again. Up I bobbed once more. Eventually I was weighted down with various rocks, stuffed into the pockets of my diving jerkin and sure enough, I plummeted to the bottom.
The instructor (Manuel or Emanuel) kept beckoning us to swim with him, but all I could do was scud along the seabed. I was too heavily weighted now. I spent the whole of my "discover scuba" experience with my nose scraping along the coral reef and using my hands to give me some propulsion, beckoning terror and death imminent to be sure.Tommy was ok.

My mother always said it would be death by drowning, but I think she had beer in mind. If she'd seen me she would have no doubt observed that I was tanked up again!

After the diving experience we were hauled back into the boat and two of the guys then went diving for scallops, which we were forced to eat raw (tasted ok though).
Our boat driver, Timmy, an English lad just learning the ropes managed to crack the windscreen of the diving boat on the way back by slewing the boat at great speed across the wake of a passing much bigger vessel.The boat bellyflopped into the wake with an almighty whack.The owner, Trevor (Trivor), who was also on the boat was not best pleased.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kelvin said...

Hello & Happy New Year !!! Hope you had a good one, where-ever you were when the clock stuck 12. All the very best.

9:16 pm  
Blogger Valentino thomas said...

If you like to combine great scuba diving with countries full of culture you will discover here the ideal spot. To learn more about Phuket Scuba Diving, visit on hyperlinked site.

11:35 am  
Blogger Valentino thomas said...

Make sure to visit this part of the island to enjoy some fun and excitement. Source for more about Phuket Diving.

5:02 am  
Blogger geraldlewis said...

They also know where you can get the best deals on important pieces of scuba diving equipment. Since they also publish a scuba diving newsletter, they have the latest on new equipment and tips on becoming an expert underwater. You are curious to know more about scuba diving, click here.

5:17 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home